Learn About Water Harvesting
Our Certified Water Harvesting Technicians will design and install a system that fits your needs. We can make minimal installations, like earthworks, or larger-scale cisterns for food-producing plants or gardens. Even the smallest steps will reduce your water bills and help restore the natural native balance to our desert.
Work performed includes, but is not limited to:
• sustainable landscaping
• earthworks and erosion control
• rainwater catchment tanks
• green infrastructure, installation, and maintenance
Besides saving you some money on water bills, some types of green infrastructure and rainwater harvesting are eligible for rebates from the City of Tucson. Ask us how you can earn a City of Tucson Rainwater Harvesting Rebate.
HOW TO CREATE A SUSTAINABLE LANDSCAPE
Cisterns - We install cisterns that capture monsoon and winter stormwater from your roof. This cache of water can nourish your garden and fruit trees year-round while offsetting your City water costs. Cisterns range from 200 to 2,000 gallons.
Earthworks - Along existing natural flows of water in your yard, we create basins and rock work that capture and hold rain. Filled with desert-friendly, low-water plants, these basins will thrive with minimal long-term work. This is the best way to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
WHY UPGRADE YOUR YARD?
1. Reduce Water Use - Thirty percent of household water in the U.S. goes to outdoor use—or as high as 60% in the arid Southwest. Utilizing rainwater in your landscape reduces your freshwater use—and your water bills!
2. Support Passive Cooling for Your Home - Sending roof runoff to water trees in basins on the west side of your house will help shade your home during the hottest part of the day, lowering your electric bills as well.
3. Improve Soil Conditions - Mulched basins increase your soil’s organic matter, improve soil structure, and increase water filtration and water-use efficiency.
4. Increase Wildlife Habitat - Planting trees, shrubs, and flowering plants will attract abundant butterflies, hummingbirds, and other wildlife to your yard.
5. Support People Who Need Work - Our certified Water Harvesting Technician designs and oversees the installation of a sustainable landscape system tailored for your yard, but workers from Primavera Works may assist with the installation. Water harvesting and sustainable landscaping projects provide a chance for women and men who are homeless or underemployed to earn above minimum wage and to learn new, marketable skills for the emerging field of green technology.
PRIMAVERA WORKS, established in 1996, is a social enterprise of the Primavera Foundation.