The Primavera Foundation is a non-profit community development organization that has been providing pathways out of poverty and strengthening the Tucson community since 1983, through a variety of programs and services. Primavera’s Homeless Intervention and Prevention (HIP) program provides a daytime drop-in center for people experiencing homelessness and low-income individuals and families in our community who are seeking supportive services and referrals.
The Safety and Program Assistant plays a vital role, actively ensuring a calm, safe, and productive environment and assisting in program functions and flow for efficient day-to-day operations. It is essential that the Safety and Program Assistant be a courteous, personable individual who will act ethically and professionally at all times.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Work assignments may vary depending on the department’s needs and will be communicated to the applicant by the leadership):
- Provide an active presence, during program hours, inside and outside, to ensure that program participants honor agency behavior guidelines and that a safe, respectful, peaceful environment is maintained.
- Assist staff with setting up and maintaining an organized program flow, intervening with participants when confrontational situations arise by working to de-escalate agitated participants utilizing non-violent de-escalation skills, and documenting incidents within 24 hours.
- Proactively engage with participants, building rapport and utilizing motivational interviewing techniques while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Assist with any tasks required at HIP reception desk, including signing in participants, responding to inquiries, distributing mail and supplies, distributing food boxes, stocking front desk supplies, and maintenance of supply areas.
- Open HIP drop-in center daily and lock up at the end of business hours.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and organization of program indoor storage areas, outside the building including patio and washbasins, and on the block.
- Work productively with and provide support to staff and volunteers, including tasks as cross-trained.
- Maintain the confidentiality of staff, participants, and volunteers.
- Enter data into HMIS/Service Point or other systems as required by funders and per Primavera Foundation policy, maintaining 99% accuracy and completeness.
- Adhere to and consistently demonstrate Primavera’s Guiding Principles of integrity, respect, accountability, compassion, and leadership.
- Attend agency and team staff meetings and other training sessions as requested.
- Work on special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or other leadership.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Non-violent de-escalation training certification, or willingness to obtain as provided by Primavera.
- Excellent verbal communication and people skills.
- Exceptional skills in conflict resolution.
- Ability to work in a professional and respectful manner with people of diverse backgrounds who may present in challenging ways.
- Self-motivated with good organizational skills.
- Proficiency with basic computer skills and office software including Microsoft Office Outlook and Word programs.
- CPR and First Aid certification training or ability to obtain them.
- Level one fingerprint clearance card or the ability to obtain one.
- Experience appropriate to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two years experience working with the public or in customer service
- Ability to meet above knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience working in a behavioral health setting
- Hands-on experience with database program(s)
- Possess reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, current registration, and proof of insurance coverage to attend off site meetings and travel between buildings
- Ability to stand and maneuver for 5 hour shifts, both indoors and outdoors in desert climate
- Ability to work in a busy environment with moderate noise
- Visual acuity to discern data and information and hand dexterity to enter information into computer systems
- Ability to bend, stoop, crouch, and to lift up to 40 lbs.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com,