PROGRAM DESCRIPTION AND JOB SUMMARY
The Primavera Foundation is a non-profit community development organization that has been providing pathways out of poverty and strengthening the Tucson community since 1983, through a variety of programs and services. The Primavera Men’s Shelter provides emergency shelter and related supportive services to approximately 80 men on a nightly basis. The Resource Specialist works one-on-one with program participants in the areas of assessment, goal setting, resource and housing referrals, and monitoring of progress, while ensuring accurate and timely processes of data collection, documentation, and creation/maintenance of participant records. The Resource Specialist’s ultimate objective is to assist participants in obtaining self-sufficiency, including accessing housing and income sources.
The successful candidate will be a caring, culturally-sensitive social services professional who has a positive influence on others, thrives on successfully facilitating processes, works at a faster-than-average pace, is extremely disciplined, detail-oriented, and results-oriented, sets high standards for self and others, and demonstrates top-notch planning and coaching skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Work assignments may vary depending on the department’s needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by leadership):
- Assess needs and assets of participants entering Shelter, making appropriate referrals in a timely manner.
- Refer work-ready program participants to the Primavera Works program or other employment services as applicable.
- Provide crisis intervention and referrals for program participants with physical or mental health concerns, substance abuse issues, or other special needs.
- Work with shelter participants to develop individual success plans and budgets, monitor progress on a regular basis, encouraging creative problem-solving and positive, productive paths to self-sufficiency.
- Assist participants with application processes for mainstream benefits, including online.
- Maintain case files on Shelter program participants, monitor and document participant needs, progress, and success, keeping information accurate, timely, and confidential.
- Enter data accurately into participant database, such as HMIS/Service Point, as required by funders and per Primavera Foundation policy.
- Ensure data is entered on the same day of intake.
- Complete a multi-domain assessment tool upon entry and exit for all participants on caseload.
- Develop and utilize a network of social service providers offering programs appropriate for Shelter program participants.
- Monitor Shelter program participants not in the Primavera Works program regarding their use of the Shelter day program, documenting extensions, and other related matters.
- Communicate daily with Resident Team Leads and Resident Team Members.
- Follow all policies/procedures; adhere to any contractual agreements applicable to case management program.
- Collaborate with Program Manager to prioritize participants and their needs.
- Monitor and assist Residential Team Leads in the absence of the Program Manager.
- Attend meetings as required including but not limited to those for shelter staff, resource specialists, and Primavera All Staff meetings.
- Adhere to and demonstrate Primavera’s guiding principles of integrity, respect, accountability, compassion, and leadership.
- Other duties as assigned by leadership.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of services, community resources & issues for participants experiencing homelessness.
- Empathy, self-determination, advocacy and follow-up to see others succeed.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of case management and delivering programmatic services to participants.
- Knowledge of motivational interviewing principles.
- Some knowledge of the sociological, behavioral and cultural factors influencing the behavior and attitudes of participants assigned to Resource Specialist.
- Sensitivity to and experience working with ethnically, culturally, socially and sexually diverse participants, communities, agencies and organizations.
- Ability to organize tasks and establish priorities in response to changing conditions and in emergencies.
- Ability to assess, discuss and document a participant's physical and mental abilities, financial, social and environmental needs and to jointly formulate an effective success plan.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, participants in adverse circumstances, community services and services providers.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft office products, Windows, Email, internet, and database systems).
- One year of experience as a case manager/resource specialist working with people with no or low income.
- Bachelor’s degree in a human services related area.
NOTE: an equivalent combination of related experience, education, and training which would satisfy the above.
- One year of experience entering client data into a database.
- First Aid and CPR certification — or ability to obtain both.
- Level 1 fingerprint clearance card or the ability to obtain one.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check.
- Ability to work evenings and weekend days as needed and be flexible to meet shelter needs.
- Must have reliable transportation, a current valid driver’s license and registration, proof of insurance coverage, and a clean driving record.
- Bilingual ( English/Spanish)
- Six months or more of experience working with men experiencing homelessness in a shelter setting.
- Residential, multiple-bed shelter environment indoors, with internal office, common eating and sleeping areas, moderate noise levels, and requiring outdoor surveying of property in desert climate.
- Ability to work at desk work station and throughout common areas, standing, bending, stooping, using stairs, and ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Visual acuity and hand dexterity to work with computer systems (monitor, keyboard), reports, and other data sources, reading/entering/processing data and figures.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.